Enter the Bliss

It's been a very busy few months as I have been involved in two big projects. The one that is nearly finished has been a Continuing Education course called 16mm Film Making. A group of fourteen found themselves falling into the roles of Crew on a short film called The Nightwatchman. This was written by one of the course coordinators, Paul Wolffram who also took on the role of Director.

As Paul is one of my colleagues here at Victoria I found myself doing some very interesting roles. Originally I was to act but in helping out with auditions we decided that I would get better value from the course if I chose only to be behind the camera. Thus I found myself not only at the helm of the camera for the scene that I shot (We all had a scene to helm) but also became a member of the Art Dept and 1st AD. I was taken with how similar the role of 1st is to that of the Stage Manager in the Theatre.

The other coordinator whose gentle presence added so much to all of our learning was Alex Funke. It was a real privilege to work with this three time Oscar winner on our little film. He has that incredible talent for allowing us to make our own mistakes without ever letting those errors disrupt the bigger picture. And all this was while The Hobbit got up and running.

The other project I am in the middle of is Saint Punch. This is my text that has been haunting me for some years before finally getting it on paper during my supervisors class on scriptwriting in 2006. I am using it because I am interesting in the theoretical frame of Carnival and somehow this text exemplifies how these things can be made manifest upon the stage. It tells the stories of Gilles de Rais and Joan of Arc, Punch and Judy and the folktale Bluebeard. I have uploaded a video of some scenes that came up in rehearsal to give you a taste. We hope to have a show and tell in the second week of June.



Comments

Popular Posts