Life Matters

I was shocked to read about Rob Mokaraka. I met him when he first arrived in Wellington and directed him in a show for the fringe. He stuck me as a genuinely nice guy. None of which explains Mondays shooting. I found myself saying " A friend of mine was shot by the police yesterday." It was a conversation that seemed surreal as this is New Zealand not Gaza or the US. Aotearoa- where in recent months has become, supposedly, a much more dangerous place. Not my home at all.

Today we hear that Rob stage managed this event- some are even suggesting it was suicide by Cop! And it still strikes me as strange.

What brings a nice guy to the edge of reason? I've had some moments but nothing even resembling this level of despair. Which I do count as a blessing of course but my heart goes out to Rob and his family and I do hope that even as he is charged by the police that he still receives the care he may need.

Life matters, no matter how much we find ourselves suffering. It helps to be able to share aspects of that pain so long as we also balance it with our pleasures and getting out of balance with these moments seems to be a trap we fall in to.

Some may be aware that this is Film festival fortnight and that I have been sinking into the pool of pleasure that it entails. Last night I saw Camino- and Rob came to mind. This Spanish film tells the story of a little girl's death- a blessed event to those around her but really the tragedy is in the way this death is exploited by the institution that surrounds her. Rob may suffer the same thing and my heart hopes that very soon he is yesterdays news and that the contribution he has made- in films like 'Tama Tu' -will be more important than a stupid action he was lucky to survive.

Comments

Popular Posts