In which young Grilliver....

In which young Grilliver, the bastard blowback of Gulliver and Gilligan, attempt to hold his head up in the strange land of Singaputt.

I had forgotten just how much I liked Singapore and how easy and safe it is to get around. My hotel, Summer View is just a short (exhaustingly hot) walk away from Bugis and the MRT from which you can get anywhere even if in this sense you are the biggest sardine in the can. And I mean the biggest- Asia always reminds mr of how tall, how wide and how much of a footprint I actually take up- far too much I suspect.

The flight from Sydney was uneventful though it was hard to catch some sleep I did eventually relax. As I lay my head down that night after essentially being awake for some thing like forty hours (guess I was more nervous and excited than I thought) I thanked the GBOTG that it was nighttime and that a sleep was exactly what the doctor ordered. Early (there wasn't much happening till at least 10- I'm sure)Saturday morningI travelled to the MRT to Orchard and looked around (Yes and even though I walked through Lucky Plaza I bought nothing!-brownie points please?)I did find the Apple EpiCentre and salivated over the computers and Ipods

Later I took in a film- A singaporean film called Pleasure Factory which was set in the redlight District of Geylang- um(It was the only local film playing, I promise!! S- there were NO ladyboys)

After returning to the hotel I ventured out to see my first big infrastructure show- how sad is it when a forty five year old man can be seen in public singing along with the finale song- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. The show lives up to its promise- at once bringing back to my childhood romance with film and in having in it a wonderful theatrical illusion- I still don't know how they did it-Car, three adults and two children flying apparently without aid all over the stage- god I love illusion.

Richard O'Brien was terribly sweet as the child catcher but also a quite wonderful terrrifying bad guy. The lead was Kevin Kennedy who looked familiar to me- then I thought of me Mum and realised that he had played Curly on Coro Street- what a great performer with a great voice- suffice to say I was happiness pleased.

Today it is hot (surprise ) and I am going to just wander and chill out before moving on to KL tomorrow.


All the best
Grimsstar

Comments

nzlemming said…
Just a big kid, really ;-)
Anonymous said…
Hi Gregor,
Just catching up with this; I think there is definitely the basis for a film script here.
Roy

Popular Posts