A christmas Egg-Blog

A journey begins with the taking of one puppet.......
Tis' the time of year that I would usually be casting of clothes, not all of them you understand but enough that some degree of white flesh is aired out, however this year the weathers shit.

Gollum?
I guess where I am today is almost completely the fault of someone else, I take no credit except to leap whenever an opportunity presented itself. I'm good that way, tho I do try to treat like with like and to give back to those who have so generously given, or had stolen as the case may be, to me.

When I started on a masters, this was not where I thought I would turn out doing a doctorate. Luckily I was in a great job with a bunch of folk who could not have been more supportive. They even held the door as I tripped out, into a brand new world.

Touched how generously Jed said bye... for now.
My community rallied around and started pushing through the doors. Taking me out to dinner and making sure I got on the plane. I also enjoyed saying good bye to the acting fraternity in the person of Jed, who just happened to be at the airport at the same time. Between him and Gollum glaring down.... I couldn't help but worry that something fishy was going on.
Usual Suspects with Matt Hills, my supervisor in the middle.
All in all I felt a great sense of relief to finally be on my way and I looked forward to a conference and what a conference it was.

However on arriving in Aber I was pleased to  find out that I was in time for the Abertoir Horror Film Festival. My picks for the festival were Painless (insensibles), All Cheerleaders Die, The Machine, Frankenstein, and Ghost Graduation, a lovely mix of classic, fright and comedic.As well as seeing far more movies than is healthy we were treated to things as unusual as a Ghost play, a debate and several fascinating talks which hovered somewhere between fan and academic- the perfect blend of things that make Aberystwyth Arts Centre so special.

Richard Johnson Q & A, Abertoir 2013.
 As I have got to know Aberystwyth I have come to realize how extraordinary the symbiosis is between institution and town. They respect and support each other and the staff at the centre underline this in the way they work and co-operate with the local community. When I first got here and began ushering at the centre I was able to see a local theatre groups adaptation of two episodes, live on stage, of Steptoe and Son. It was great and a fine homage to one of the greats of SitCom. Last week I saw a new play by a local writer- a young one I was assured by his mother who was there to support. It's great that these nascent writers get this support. But there have also been some big shows- Alan Davies, Jimmy Carr and Ballet Cymru's version of Romeo and Juliet. The Arts Centre boxes well above its weight.

 London has also been a destination for me. I have been there a couple of times now though the second was a bit rushed. I was lucky enough to win, in a ballot, the opportunity to buy some tickets for the 50th Anniversary Doctor Who Celebration at the ExCel Centre. In a stroke of genius, wanting company, I asked Gaz- who runs Abertoir- if he would like to come with me.

He leaped at the chance and offered to share costs of transport and hotel. Of course, I said yes;)

It was elementary really.
Matt at the controls

So Gaz and I drove to London Thursday night, it's quite a long way I have to say. We arrived at our hotel having missed the first three minutes of An Adventure in Time and Space. But we were pleasantly surprised by the size of the flat panel in our room.

Gaz at the controls
While we were watching Matt Hills
appeared which gave us the opportunity to go out and have a drink afterwards. Gaz very thoughtfully allowed me to have the big bed while he slept on the single and gave me some earplugs in anticipation. Weirdly, even though I did give in and put them on, I woke up the next morning without them- sometime during the night I must have taken them out and placed them neatly on the bedside table. go figure? then it was off to breakfast and the ExCel to meet Matt and have a wonderful day queuing. Actually it was a blast.

Gregor hoping they will let him in again...
Then we were back in the car to get back to Aber, me to bed and Gaz home to his wife. About 2am as I remember. Course the next day meant the big episode and we were going to watch it in Gaz's Cinema in 3D. Bloody marvelous!!!!!!

 Of course there is a ferryman to pay for all this fun and games. Matt, Sarah and David all contribute to the growing stack of books I am trying to get through. At the moment I am tackling cultural theory from the position of Mimesis. this concept which has some connection with the English derivatives mime and imitation, will I expect become the central frame on which I can pin my research on.
My abstract exercise.

Matt has been very encouraging, and our meetings have been sustaining me as I meet with Sarah and David Rabey, my mentor from the theatre programme and become aware of just how big this project actually is. not that I am discouraged, quite the opposite but the honeymoon is over...

You may be aware that many of us Postgrads fell out of love with the research seminars- in fact sadly, because I applaud the intention behind them, if I was judging Aber on these classes I would be running scared by now. However they are only a part of the richness on offer. Kate Egan's talk on the controversy surrounding Life of Brian was very good and John Morgans writing skills seminars have been pretty inspirational.
So here I am alone in the flat, my flatties headed 'home'- Cornwall, Derby, Exeter, Toronto, North Wales, Switzerland, Greece, Belfast, California and I am about to go share Christmas with the Debnams in Torquay. Let me take this opportunity to wish you all the best for the year and that 2014 brings health and happiness!!







Comments

Popular Posts